Sunday, August 4, 2013

Bionic Travels: Day Three


I went out walking for the first time with my CI on this evening. I had no hopes of hearing birds or the other marvelous creatures that inhabit Ohio in August. I just went out. What I discovered was a group of aliens building something in a workshop in my head! Imagine that… they have taken up residence without my express permission.  (I must have given it with all those forms I signed before surgery…)

I live in a quiet, fairly auto free neighborhood and therefore my world was still except for the workshop activity. It was very distracting, though I guess I wouldn’t mind so much if they were building me some shelving for my fabric. They weren’t. Aliens don’t deal in fabric…they like hard things with lots of metal and they throw sound around like it’s a toy. I think they especially like Slinkies and anything that emanates a high pitch twirl. Creeps.  

Fortunately I also inhabit an imperfect world, so I had plenty of problems to work out and finally, after 20 minutes or so, my mind was able to adjust the slightest bit and wander off to ponder other important things.  (Very sorry that I wasn’t able to solve your problems … leave them here and I will try IF I get around to it…) 

That being the better part of my evening walk, I will add the positive note that I heard the footfalls of the runner who came up behind me! THAT sound is the reason I took the cochlear implant plunge.  Reasons to date: the runner’s footfall, myself peeing, the computer keyboard, the car turn signal, running water in the kitchen sink.  The list will grow daily so I am told. Onward…

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!
    A runner's footfalls???
    YES!!!
    Great news... And the list grows on...
    :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete