Sunday, August 4, 2013

A New Era


“Welcome back, Andi.”  “Thanks, Andi…”  It’s been two years since I have updated this blog. I have no ideal intentions as far as the regularity of my postings, but I’m writing again and feel the need to make some of my musings public. The main catalyst behind NOW? The cochlear implant that was just installed on the right side of my head.  I was a candidate for getting one of these four long years ago, but I needed to wait. I expected the Process to be intense and potentially draining and I needed my energy to be focused on my mom who was battling ALS.  She’s dancing again with her family and friends in heaven, so now was the time for me.  I was ‘free’ (are we ever ‘free’ emotionally to attend to the hard work that needs to be done in our lives??!) to focus on surgery and relearning how to hear.

Apparently I am also ‘free’ to write and draw and take a pottery class and needlefelt and sew and travel and read the New York Times on Sundays.  I’ve also been a Creative Memories consultant for 16 years and our company has recently met its demise… the same time as my needs to focus on hearing have risen. Coincidences are God appointments in my book, and this timing is one such appointment.  I’m showing up. Creative Memories is changing names and foci and so am I. I’m an empty nester too.  I wasn’t four years ago.  Big change.  Big ‘FREE.’

I changed my header, still pretty clueless about how to make this blog look interesting. I updated a few things, but in one’s fifties, one doesn’t change a whole lot from year to year, other than random surgeries and moves and losses and… well… OK some things DO change. Regardless. My interests remain the same, though emphases shift around. Right now, it’s Learning To Hear and quietly do art inbetween conversations with others and the world.

Rather than bore my “Andi Fan Club” with more direct emails about my Bionic Hearing Journey, I’d rather just share a link to my blog so anyone can gleefully!! come on over and read my journey if they feel like it.  I try not to be dry and boring as there is enough of that in the world.  I also avoid technicalities which may present a problem for me as I adjust to the abundant technicalities of this new device I am wearing. But, I can be smart when I want to. Fortunately I can develop my want to one day at a time.  Join me? 

2 comments: