Thursday, December 31, 2009

Race Day







When you think of someone who is a "runner", I'm not the typical type. But, today, running a 5k at 35 degrees in the rain and having FUN must have made me "a runner". At least that's what my marathoning husband declared when I called him to tell him race results. (Normally he'd be there with me, but normal is elusive at the moment with his mom in her last hours...)

I've been training for this. My protesting knee has begun to be whipped into shape after the physical therapist gave me permission to tame it with squats and other horrible exercises. It has given up swelling all the time and therefore, I've been further encouraged at my running pursuits, tiny though they are. Don't all good things begin with small steps?

I usually look forward to going to the gym, but that's increased lately with this 5K goal in sight. Truly I think it's paid off since I was able to recover from the race within about 15 minutes. Sure, I felt like throwing up about mile 2.3, but resisted. (good for me). But that wasn't the end of me, so my 50 year old mind is happy that my 50 year old body decided to cooperate.

The last time I ran a 5K was in the dark... a night race lit by luminaries. Nice idea, but it was about 85 out and the humidity was so thick you could put OUT the luminaries with it. I was 25 pounds heavier and was ever so thankful to have made it to the finish line before they took down the clock. I did NOT feel like "a runner". Recovery time was such that I don't even think I wanted post race ice cream fellowship with all the teens who showed me up with their athletic feats and kept their laughter to themselves. I even wrote an entire essay on the event because it was so epic (and not particulary fun) for me.

Yea. Today was different, thank the Lord. I'm lighter, more fit, more ready and Dave has declared me to be "a runner". I will proudly wear that title for the rest of this year, in fact!

It's New Year's Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment