Saturday, December 19, 2009

Homecoming





One week of family togetherness. After being absent in body, but present in spirit, our daughter has returned home for Christmas break following her first quarter in college. We keep reminding her that she won't have to travel that "first-quarter" way ever again. Meanwhile, I am reminded that there will not be a "first-time-home" ever again. That's good, because I am tired.

Bottled up within me have been many (too many) conversations needing to be had. Parenting from a distance with a hearing disability that keeps me shying away from the phone with my talkswaytoofast daughter has meant all this advice and all these conversations have been waiting in my mind and soul. They are slowly leaking out, thanks to the prayers of my friends that I might be attune to the right moments. But, meanwhile. The additional active parenting has worn me out.

Don't get me wrong... it is DELIGHTFUL to have her home! To have extra estrogen floating in the air from her and her ever present girlfriends is great. And, we've had family dinners regularly which have been well worth cooking for. Nothing satisfies me more than being around the table with people I love. For those occasions, I must be the one cooking however, for there is no place else to go to have dinners around the table with those I love unless I create the moment. Sigh. Middle age. (Would that someone else would gather us up and cook and light the candles... when we have someone creating that food and those spaces for us, we are too young to take delight in the fact that someone ELSE is in charge.) My daughter is having her friends join us pretty much every evening. This is good. They, too, get to experience the joy and love of a family dinner. We are on our best behavior since we know that these three weeks will pass quickly and well, it's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, so no squabbling allowed.

Dinner and shopping. Just say NO to shopping! We are going to get to the fabric store sooner rather than later, but happily NO malls. NO "Save Money. Live Better" visits. NO running to and fro to get the latest. Our shopping has been "hey mom, look at these shoes... skirts...tights" on line. Click. Ordered. I am all about saving time and hassles and letting the UPS runners take care of that. So far, so good. Plus, no retail therapy needed since I'm spending over 30 hours this week as a retail clerk anyway. Fortunately, working at the Outfitter's is different. It just is. And, it's actually fun trying on gloves for guys who are trying to get the right size for their significant other: "Hey, will you try this on for me, your hands look like they're about the right size?" And, "do you think she'll like this coat?" Me: "Oh, of course she will. What does she need a coat for anyway? Riding in the car, sitting at soccer games, running a 5K?" Etc... Etc... Etc... She'd BETTER LIKE IT.

Shopping and sharing cars. I've never done this before, really. But we've never had four drivers and three cars in our family. I've been left car-less a few times and there will be more to come. I am a homebody at heart, so it's a minor inconvenience. (Since it's only three weeks, of course!) Summer time will be a different story. And, today, TODAY with the snow storm slamming the east coast and black ice coating our streets and a teeny bit of snow, we had to put the 1997 mini van to sleep and buy another used car. Son is more excited that I've ever seen him, of course, since this will be the Honda Accord that HE will drive. Daughter gave the car a passing glance en route to go pick up BFF from the airport after a four month absence from one another.

:) I smile because this is what having a daughter and a son at home is like. Stark differences, that's for sure. But glad to be sitting around the dinner table together again if only for a few short weeks.

1 comment: