Thursday, December 31, 2009

365 Days of Blogging

Julie and Julia made me smile. I like food movies. This one brushed up against the edges of the genre. I also really like Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Score. I do not like French cooking, however, and have no desire to follow in the footsteps of the author to prepare what to me would be a plethora of miserable meals. (I am primarily vegetarian, mind you, and somewhat butter-shy).

But, it got me to thinking. IF I were to blog daily for a whole long year (highly unlikely), WHAT would I blog about? It would obviously have to be something of interest to me since no one is reading what I put out into cyberspace (except Dave, bless his heart... one way to stay in touch with his wife while he is on the road). It would have to be something appealing and doable (more likely) that didn't take lots of time, materials and photo editing.

I am, btw, so incredibly proud of my uber talented brother in law who ACTUALLY has nearly completed an awesome set of 365 SHOTS A DAY. You would do well to take a peek (though no one will see this, sorry Pete) and read his witty repartee that accompanies amazing photographs. See them in the galleries at www.nawset.com

Anyway. I like words a great deal, so that's what came to my mind regarding 365 Days of Blogging. A Word a Day kind of thing. I know it's been done before and Shutter Sisters has the clever One Word Project (also worth a peek). My word would be different. In fact, it would be a contemplative exercise as I've been pondering the concept. To write in the evenings reflecting on my days and choose a word that represents something that rose to the surface for me. In other words, my awareness tuned in to what God is doing in the world and around and through me. A sort of Lectio Divina, but rather than slowly reading The Word... it would be a Reading of the World with a Word. (can anyone help me with the Latin here?)

I might give it a try. No guarantees. No commitment. Just thoughts. It would increase my awareness of the One True God who is abundantly present and active, if I were to just slow down enough to perceive his quiet words and activity. That would be a good thing all around. He'd like it. I'd grow from it. OK, I'll give it try.

Pseudo New Year's Resolution for the whole wide world (aka know as "readership of one") to see. Abundant Blessings be yours in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's called the Ignatian Examen--where you look over your day and let something rise to the surface (a consolation/desolation/"word")...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi -- this year for Christmas I bought myself a ten-year journal. It has a page for each day of the year, and about four lines in which to jot a journal entry: January 1, 2010, 2011, 2012 etc. Four lines ... and it's only January 6th and I've already missed a day.

    On a more serious note -- you guys are in our prayers as you celebrate Dave's mom's life and grieve over her death. Your reflections about that are beautiful. Thanks, and many blessings.
    Kathy J

    ReplyDelete