Thursday, December 3, 2009

Maintenance

A narrow view of "before dusting"
I dare you to find my hidden bins during my Creative Memories Open House !


Two spots that shall remain undusted. Just don't look very closely, please.


My Facebook status report was actually a true confession this evening. "Setting up for my open house and decorating for Christmas means that I must engage in my Once A Year Dusting Project". But, there is a hazard associated with having to dust and it's not abundant sneezing. Rather, I have to move the stacks and piles in order to find the counter tops. This is in my office. The living room wasn't quite as bad!

All that to say. I really do not enjoy some aspects of Home Maintenance. I looked at the pile of clothes in the bathroom and declared the same last night. Fortunately I have a similar and supportive husband and have trained two teens accordingly (if they marry your kids, consider yourself warned...) You know the PILE... the one with the clothes you can wear again, but you don't really want to hang them up with the clean ones in your closet or fold them for the drawers. I'm open to other non-piling systems, I guess. But, mine seems to work. It's just not pretty.

And, today, while searching for the flat surfaces to dust, I encountered numerous PILES. This time of papers, important and otherwise and miscellany of all sorts. I tend to keep up with what I call Stack Attacks (if you put papers aside long enough, by the time you get back to them, most of them don't matter any more, a nice side benefit). But, there are always seem to be the Things Without A Home. Make another file? Throw them away? NO! Pile them all into a bin to HIDE while guests visit my Open House. If you're reading this and you come by on Saturday, just pretend you don't know the truth, OK?

My lack of desire to happily keep up with home maintenance fits perfectly well with my personality and desire to just be creative and hope some elves will show up to clean up. I'm OK with my style, actually. It doesn't stress me out and usually we don't stress each other out around home being cut from the same rather messy cloth.

But, woe to me if I don't get back to those hidden bins once I hide them. They are full of Treasures Who Have No Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment