Sunday, November 1, 2009

Walnuts

The sunshine broke through in the middle of our hours long raking session today. This was Round #3 in Leaf Raking Match 2009. The leaves keep winning. But, prior to raking, there is the gathering. In our case, the gathering of walnuts and sticks.

I tried to make quick work of it, but alas, it just takes time to get my sorry old knee to bend down close enough to the ground for the gathering. The containers that I put the walnuts in (I guess they aren't food worthy after all) are far too heavy to lift in order to get them back to the compost, so I've created yet another autumn conundrum.

Then there was the Leaf Raking Match #3 between me and teen son. Not pretty. I fear I am the only one who has raised a child with no work ethic. Or, he has a work ethic I suppose, it is something like this: "Do Not Work at All Costs". And so our little leaf raking session was a little more "chilly" than I would have preferred on this beautiful day. Chilly with cold stares, teenage boy complaints and attitude and therefore, consequences.

Pulled the plug in the computer for a few days and I have decided to boycott teenage boy laundry until further notice. Stay tuned.

The leaves will continue to fall and there is always room for "attitudinal redemption". Not sure the opportunity will be seized, at least not until the jeans start walking all by themselves.

EIGHT: That's the maximum number of these little round gems I could pick up at once.




I think we may have won for the biggest piles in the neighborhood! One acre full of trees!

1 comment:

  1. awww, I miss ohio, I will be home at christmas time in time for the snow but not in time for fall, and Beckwiths apple cider, i miss it already! LOve you mommy!

    ReplyDelete