Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving











I started this post while everyone was listening to some comedians on the internet post dinner. It never got published, but I decided to continue with it one week late. Indicative of how life has been humming along since the Company came and left.

One thing I've been intentional about as a parent has been creating traditions. At least one POSITIVE thing I've created are traditions :) I'm certain I have been UNintentional about creating all kinds of things, but that will be for another post someday. (when my kids are 33!).
Thanksgiving was full of happy traditions! My mom comes from Indiana each year and my sister and her family come from NC. We spend the morning at a local running race for the homeless each year. Sometimes we absolutely freeze. Sometimes we are covered with snow. And, rarely, a day like last week shows up and we are blessed with sunshine and temps in the low 40s! Perfect. The race is getting bigger and bigger every year and we are getting faster and faster even as we get older and older. All of these are encouraging traditions I say! I am proud of myself for getting out there and running again. Even prouder of the rest of my family for ALL participating!

We had 13 around the table. Lots of family and lots of history since we have been planted here for so many years... and the only person I have that truly resembles a brother (having known him since Jr. high) was here with his family too. The feeling was pleasant and light and I was grateful. I am aware that the positive traditions surrounding our family Thanksgiving are a gift not all families share.
Running in the sunshine. Simple Thanksgiving meal served on my in law's 50 year old china. Pumpkin and pecan pie. A few words of Thanksgiving from everyone and a rousing chorus of the Doxology. Praise God from whom all blessings flow....

No comments:

Post a Comment