Saturday, October 24, 2009

Harvest







The fresh local food season is coming to an end all too soon. I loved being part of a wonderful CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)this summer! I would grow our own food if we had two feet of sunlight in our yard which we don't. (We do have plenty of walnuts which you are welcome to come gather, however.)

I started cooking my senior year in college. My very first Moosewood Cookbook is still one of my favs.

Soup. A family staple. We have a lot of favorite recipes and then there is "Dump and Throw". That's what I call any non-recipe creation, made with whatever ingredients happen to be on hand. This week it was "end of the harvest dump and throw" chicken soup in the crockpot. More nutritious than delicious, but that's the way it goes occasionally. I don't really care for many root veggies in spite of the fact that I eat a vegetable and dark chocolate based diet. I threw the last of the root veggies into the soup. They can still be detected among the potatoes, however, so my trick to hide them didn't quite work.

Strange vegetables and plentiful root veggies are either one hazard or one delight of belonging to a CSA. I never got my fill of egglplant and brassicas, but maybe next year. How lovely, however, when we were allowed to glean the basil plants which resulted in plenty of pesto for the coming winter!

Bon Appetit !!!

1 comment:

  1. I miss your cooking momma, you make the best food ever, it does not have an equal up here :( and come visit i miss you!

    ReplyDelete