Friday, February 18, 2011

GREEN

I had forgotten that green is one of the colors of the landscape! I have become so accustomed to gray, blue, white and brown for the past several months. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bleak Midwinter in many ways. BUT, upon arriving in the NW corner and looking out the window, all I could see was GREEN. And, I'll admit, it made my soul sing a bit.

Went walking on the island as we always do when I am here. The smells of the pines and the greens of the moss, the ferns, the rhodos and all the rest made it a wonderful walk, in spite if the winter chill. (What is all the talk about 'wet cold' being colder than 'dry cold'?!) The best part of the green was the red tuft of feathers on the pileated woodpecker's head as he worked hard to clear brush from his dinner spot. What a treat!

It happens to be migration time around here. Yesterday I saw about 6 new birds and today we're going hunting for snow geese. I happen to think birds are one of God's Top Ten and I love searching for them, though it is a rare moment when I can hear them any more. Greens and Birds. Made my day.

Oh, and out for dinner with my darling daughter and her college friends happened to be a big bonus as well!

Time to grab my binoculars, hat, camera and hiking boots. We're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment