Saturday, August 7, 2010

Je Taime Paris

Oh, I know enough French to know there is an apostrophe in the title; but using a French keyboard presently is limiting me as I cannot find all the keys I need! Such a dificile problem in Paris! I am sitting in the hotel lobby with the warm breezes wafting in the door and the world passing by the window in front of me!

Such a city! I have not been here for 30 years and I recall almost nothing from that visit, so happily I am encountering this tres beau city for the first time in most ways. Full of history; wrought iron balcony railings, motorbikes and stinky cheese; the world gathers here and I have been taking great delight in the entirety of it.

Today we wandered Le Louvre. One could spend a lifetime there, of course. It is massive. I think I enjoyed the palace itself as much as the works. I do, however, get more tired in two hours in an art museum than I do in eight hours trekking. My apologies to my artist friends, who are numerous, but I have little stamina for the marvels of paint; brush and chisel. One thing I have noticed in the "relaxed" world of Europe (machine guns in the train station aside), they let the world get CLOSE to the art. We could touch nearly everything save the Mona Lisa, though, of course; we did not. The Rodin pieces one can breathe on and Michelangelos marble could be experienced not just seen if one so desired. Amazing.

The beauty of the city truly is unequaled. Artistic flair is everywhere and a delight for the senses. I find myself enjoying the store windows ( though I have not walked the Champs Elysses) as much as the stone carvings above the doorways. Cest tres stunning!

The two of us have become three with the addition of Ellie who we gathered to us at the airport this morning. An adventure of its own. We will find ourselves at a cafe soon watching the world stroll by.

When can I move?

No comments:

Post a Comment