Saturday, July 24, 2010

Eating our Way through Edinburgh

At the morning farmer's market. We started our day in view of the castle wandering one of the most well organized market's I've ever been to. Dave spent the time drinking coffee sitting in a chair people watching. Poor guy is trying to recover from a mini marathon of work and it hit like a ton of bricks today.

I, however, treated pounds like Monopoly money! My first purchase, an ice cream cone of sorbet. Yum. Next some sort of treat, not too sweet (thank you Europe!) with creme fraiche, ginger cookies, lemon and other stuff. Fortunately, they are not required to put calories on the labels. Assuming then, that there are none, I am free to eat whatever whenever. Nice!

Onto the Tomato Onion quiche. Well, not eaten yet, but purchased for the lunch picnic that never happened. Dave indulged in a buffalo burger. Or was in ostrich or venison? I can't really remember. I do, however, remember the little girl carrying a raw chicken under her arm strolling with her dad. It was wrapped!

Plenty of scenes at the market, as always. They are probably my favorite place to go when traveling. I had a nice conversation with the lady from the Royal Bird Society or something like that. Learning the colors of common birds which aren't at all common to me. MUST get a bird guide before we start hiking or I'll drive myself nuts.

Oh, yes. Eating. We wandered from eating venue to eating venue today with a stop at the Scottish Heritage Museum. (I will have nightmares from the guillotine sighting). Top of my list, also not food related, was being the FIRST customer at an art shop which a youngish woman opened TODAY! Naturally, I purchased something and took a photo of her store window. I'll have to send her one when I get home as a congrats for her new venture. Hope it works.

I discovered my new (first, actually) favorite coffe house!! I'm afraid I'm going to have a tough time visitng very often however :( Bummer. The Black Medicine Coffee Co. Belongs in Estes Park, actually, with it's warm pine hand hewn interior. Yummy scones! My first of the trip. Let's hope not the last.

While there, found the current "Foodie" mag. Necessary in Scotland, as pubs don't really have the dining thing together much of the time. We long for greens things... so found a place for later... THE LARDER, full of local everything. PERFECT for a light dinner! Homegrown greens, cheese, tapenade, venison, tomato soup and Blossom Green Tea. Ahh... trying to load up before all we find on the trail is pub food.

Then, off to the Royal Oak Pub for some pub music with a Celtic Twist (" I put some Whisky in my Whisky, put some heartbreak in my heart", etc...). They crammed a good 25 people in a place made for 15, but the music was good. And, you can get your Guinness COLD if you want!

Walked to the B and B in the first rain of the trip. Not bad if you ask me. Two whole sunny days!

Good thing we need to eat. Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment