Monday, February 21, 2011

Flavors

I have known about Regent College in Vancouver, BC for 30 years. I have had friends study there. It's kind of a secret place in some ways. Housed in one building adjacent to the University of British Columbia, the place is a magnet for Believers from all over the world. So, while it is a secret to most people, even in Vancouver, God is at work luring his people there to come study, grow, be a community and figure out their callings to further His Kingdom on earth.

Truth be told, I haven't looked into studying there and don't intend to, though others absolutely should! I have not read their admissions materials. What I just said comes from a 20 minute walk through the place on INTERNATIONAL FOOD NIGHT. Oh. My.

Regent was fragrant with the Kingdom in wonderful ways! Tables piled with foods from other continents; students in native attire; kids filling their plates with rices and dahls and fancy chocolates and stews; people in all shapes and colors; smiles on faces. The couches were populated with thoughtful adults having intense conversations to solve the problems of the world while eating the world's dinner. It was a glimpse of heaven. Flavors and fragrances of heaven.

Residing in the midwest as I do, we are more than a little provincial. Our mingling is among those of mostly the same skin color. For the most part, ethnic restaurants aren't filled with the stews and rices of the world. You can find them, but it's not easy. The church, likewise, looks rather similar and we forget how flavorful God's people are!

With the exception of our hostess, a Regent student also from Ohio, I knew no one on my walk through INTERNATIONAL FOOD NIGHT. Yet I was totally at home. These were my people because these were God's people. Kingdom builders and Kingdom residers. I'll look forward to eating their food one day and sharing intense conversations over a cup of chai. Meanwhile, if you are checking out Regent College for graduate work, the facilities are wonderful and artsy. They say it rains in Vancouver, though I have yet to see it. For those whom God lures there, a flavorful experience awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment