Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fire





"There may be a great fire in our hearts, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke." -Van Gogh


I could contemplate that quote a little more, but I'll leave that up to you. Worth doing, actually.

What's still burning inside me is the lasting heat of spending more than a few hours just sitting by the fire at a get away cabin in Pennsylvania last weekend. Ahh.... It is good for my soul to unplug for a couple of days... good to just sit away from distractions and everyday life. Two days after arriving home, I still feel the glow of the fire inside me.... the lasting affects of time to relax, far too rarely taken. My "tasks" for a couple of days in front of the fire included starting a new knitting project with lovely Alpaca wool I purchased at a farm in Portland, OR this summer; looking through assorted library books, just for fun!; cooking fresh scones; chatting and playing games with my best friend; watching a couple of movies; and enjoying the rain which kept the skis idle.

Idle skis = more time by the fire. This was good.

Words are obviously not capturing the feeling of lasting warmth. Ah well...fire has an elusive quality anyway - universal and elusive.

Keep warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment